Monday, February 10, 2014

Oxygen Please!!


            For the first time ever, I was glad Season 4 Episode 6 ended when it did.  I’m not sure I could have taken another minute of tension!  Granted, I’m craving more, but my nerves couldn’t have taken much more in one sitting!!  I’ll need a week to recover from this one.

            Where to begin?  Serious drama on all fronts: upstairs, downstairs and stretching across to America. The details of Robert having to go immediately to America were sketchy.  What possible difference could Robert make in Arthur’s affairs?  I suspect that will be one of the plot lines for Season 5.  Maybe Thomas will be thrown overboard on the crossing.
Tension Meter:


            Remember back in Season 1, when Lord and Lady Grantham were turning over every stone in the English peerage to find a suitor for Mary? (With no luck, by the way)  Now suitors are crawling out of the highly polished woodwork seeking Mary’s attention.  Evelyn Napier, Charles Blake, and Tony Gillingham all in one room, all vying for Mary’s favor, a recipe for tension if there ever was one. Then there’s poor Mary who’s not seeking any of their good opinions because as she put it, she’s “not ready to be happy.”  Blake, who was the dark horse, is coming on strong.  Nothing says “I love you” like a face full of mud in a pig sty.  A relationship with Napier or Gillingham is too obvious, a relationship with Blake will take some nurturing and time to grow which is what Mary needs right now.  Blake will challenge her intellectually which is what Mary seems to like.
Tension meter:
 

            Now for Edith, what to say? An abortion in the 1920’s was virtually unheard of, yet she brought us to the door of the doctor’s examination room before she changed her mind.  Full props to Edith for her fortitude but she’s got her work cut out for her.  I’m getting a little tired of her skepticism.  She has had more than her share of heart breaking misfortune, but she’s too eager to believe the negative from her family members.  Cora and Robert are genuinely concerned.  Rosamond showed unconditional support for Edith, despite the obvious social mountain Edith has before her.  I have a friend who predicted an Edith/Tom marriage last summer.  I thought it completely ridiculous, but she may be right after all.  Tom asked Isobel last week, “Do you think there are any other Earl’s daughters willing to take me on?” In this episode Edith said, “Sybil could have gotten away with this, not me.”  Little bread crumbs, perhaps paving the way for an Edith/Tom hookup?
Tension Meter:
 

            Isobel continues to demonstrate a caring heart.  Isobel’s devotion to Old Lady Grantham while she was sick was inspiring.  Even in the throws of bronchitis, the Dowager managed to get off some marvelous lines.  The exchange between the women as they played cards was priceless. Dowager, “I’d forgotten how much fun this game is.” Isobel, “I forgotten as well.” Dowager, “How long does the game last?” Isobel, “Oh ages.” Dowager, “Goody, goody.”

            Now for downstairs.  Alfred coming back was a real wrench for Daisy.  Ivy’s flirty ways are wearing thin in the Downton kitchen.  Like a boiling pot, this situation is going to spill over and leave an emotional mess.  Perhaps it’s the incentive Daisy needs to get off on her own.

            The arrival of Lord Gillingham brought his evil valet, Mr. Green.  It’s hard to believe, but I like Thomas and Mrs. O’Brien together more than I like him.  They’ve showed glimpses of humanity, Green has none.  I have so grown to respect Mrs. Hughes.  Mr. Carson may think he has the run of the house, but it’s Mrs. Hughes who really knows what’s going on.  I’m glad Mary finally knows about Anna.  I think Green may have signed his own death warrant confessing he was down in the kitchen during the concert as he reached for the cauliflower-cheese.  A glare from Mr. Bates, who now knows, cue the rising menacing music, and get ready the oxygen mask for me!
Tension Meter:
 

Brace yourself for Episode 7!  Whichever way this ends, you know it’s going to be the ultimate cliffhanger!

Ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment