Monday, January 13, 2014

Will the Grief Never End!




                For only an hour episode, Downton really packed a wallop in its second installment.  The Grantham house parties rarely turn out well (remember the Turkish gentleman) and this one turned out to be no different.

               I said I loved Tom in my last post, and I do, but his constant torment about being a round peg being squeezed into a square hole is getting tiresome.  “I’ve never felt more like a fish out of water than I have tonight.”  What was he expecting?? A pie eating contest? A tug of war in the great room? These events can’t keep coming as a surprise for him.  He needs to decide where he belongs: either away from Downton or stay on at Downton and somehow reconcile his beliefs with their way of living.  Enough whining, we already get that from Edith! I hope he decides to stay.

               You just know Edna is eating up Tom’s despair and manipulating him just as she did the last time. By confiding in her, which he swore he wouldn’t do, he’s serving himself up on a platter to the evil Edna, and she’ll make it look like it was his fault (which in part it will be).  She’s a schemer. The question is how far will she try to take it with Tom?  Will he get caught with her and get bounced out of Downton?  I hope he shows some character and can see through her.  He hasn’t so far.

               My opinion of Robert hasn’t changed, stuck in the past unwilling to move forward.  My other problem with Robert is that he’s so shallow. I thought Cora was going to pop a vein when she heard the world-famous opera star (real life opera star Dame Kiri Te Kanawa) was stuck in her room eating off a tray until after dinner. When Cora insisted that she join the rest of the party for dinner he worried what could he possibly talk about with a “singer?” Snob. He also wouldn’t give Michael Gregson the time of day until he won back Robert’s poker IOUs (and let’s not tell Lady Grantham!).  Now in Robert’s eyes he’s a solid kind of chap.

               Lord Gillingham brought Mary out of her shell slightly until dim-witted Rose brought down Matthew’s record player which sent Mary back brooding into her room.  I don’t think Lord Gillingham is the one for her, but I hope he turns out to be a friend who can help her and whom she can trust.  It's also time to find someone or something for Isobel to bring her out of her grief.

               As for Lord Gillingham’s valet, he’s a cad, an animal, and a despicable person. I thought this might be Anna’s year for some grief, but nothing like this!  I predict that Anna will become pregnant with his baby but Bates will believe it to be his.  I think Anna is right, if she ever told Bates who did it, he’d kill the guy and probably end up in prison.  The worry I have for Anna is that it appears that Lord Gillingam will be making frequent appearances to Downton in the future, bringing his pig of valet with him and Anna will have to deal with him every time he comes.

               As for downstairs, Alfred isn’t happy as a footman, he’d rather work in the kitchen.  I predict he’ll eventually become a cook at Downton (perhaps replacing Daisy who may go live on Mr. Mason’s farm) or elsewhere leaving the open the footman’s position to sad Eeyore-like Mr. Mosely. (Maybe he’ll even take the under butler position away from Thomas!!)

               My favorite Dowager line from the evening was in response to Tom’s confusion with aristocratic titles.  Tom said, “It isn’t logical.” To which the Dowager replied “If ever I'm looking for logic, it wouldn't be among the English upper class.”

Episode 3 here we come!

Ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment